I am thinking about buying a CD-7 to replace my Gauge Art and to be honest although the CD-7 looks awesome in videos in reality the sofware for creating gauges is very limited. Really restricting designs and alternative products like AIM, Haltech looks allot more sophisticated in terms of designs.
The CD-7 is very new out and on software revision V1
I'm assuming AEM are planning on polishing the software adding new features?
What are AEM's plans for the CD-7? Is it to expand adding more customisability? I know it's very early days. I downloaded the software prior to purchasing just to see what i could do and for a premium product it's somewhat limited when compared to a budget product like the gauge art. Which currently you are able to produce better designs because there are more options in the software in some ways.
In which case i Propose a feature request sticky.
I will start it off.
1. Rev needle improvements. Currently you can only do full length which kinda really limits the design of a gauge, for example if you have the digital read out in the middle of the gauge and a needle overlayed it is running over the top or below the digital. What is needed is the ability to only show the tip of the needle making the middle invisible. Also adding some different needles designs. Not only the tip but the ability to specify how much of the tip you can show.
2. round bar type gauges where you can specify width of the bar and start and stop point without having a centre fill. You can currently do verticle, horizontal and curved but not round unless you pick tacho and it fills the middle. I would like to see just a bar going around a circle.
3. tacho. you can't rotate it or specify the start or stop enabling you to change the range from say 180 to a full 360 you can't clear the numbers neither.
4. The ability to preview the gauge within the design as a finished rendered item, what it's actually going to look like once exported.
5. Better instruction, some gauges like the needle has a transparancy and you can pick the colour of the transparancy, ok so you pick the color of the needle for example red, you select transparancy so it is see through but why or what does selecting a transparancy color do?
6. Adding to the shapes transparancy shapes. My idea behind this would be to aid point 1. Lets say you have a full size needle but you only want to show the out part of that needle. if you could do a transparancy shape for example a circle this could be placed in the middle and make anything that is covered in terms of the design and the order of layers disapear and not visibile instead of just adding a solid color how it currently works.
7. Adding a grid that overlays the background image, would make layout allot easier than guessing and using X / Y position.
8. I'm sure i saw in the video's bars can change color depending if it's within the safety zone or warning etc. I don't think you can currently? Same should apply for digital gauges where there is just a number.
9. LFA inspired, memory of last entry point for a needle, this may only really work with request 1. So when revving the motor when you shift for a short period of tims it remembers where it was affectively dupping up for a short amount of time.
10. Shapes having the ability of only apearing upon set conditions with the ability of transparancy. Imagine a revcoulter where the centre illuminates at a set RPM just one example where that may be a nice feature.
11. To make the settings section a little more dummy / user friendly. It's a dash not a ecu so will be configured by the end users not the actual tuners (specilialists).
I think just adding the above would really expand on design options. Option 1 and 2 combined would mean you could overlay gauges and combine a bar with a needle. For example a rev counter could be needle but on the same bar you could have a bar for boost. That example probably works best for Speed and Revs but you get the idea.
Would be awesome if with the right back image you can replicate the LFA or similar cluster.
I think it has allot of potential. Can't wait for any updates, not sure if i should take a risk and buy one now or wait until the software comes along a little more. If i didn't own the Gauge Art it would be a no brainer but at the moment while there are many benefits of replacing and upgrading based on the design limitations to what i currently have i'm on the fence.